Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pearl Jam

Jason's favorite music group is Pearl Jam.  He has told me for years that when they went on their next tour, we'd be going to see them.  Well, they announced their tour dates in July and Jason excitedly bought four tickets.  He typed the event into his phone and has been counting down the days.  Since the event was following Thanksgiving, he had a hard time figuring out what to do with the other two tickets.  This past Thursday, he tried to sell his tickets on StubHub, only to find out that the concert wasn't the Saturday following Thanksgiving, it was the Saturday before!  We were thrown into a frenzy, trying to find childcare, Jason giving up his Fresno State football game ticket, we had to find a hotel, I was supposed to be teaching the BLAST kids during church on Sunday, and Saturday also happened to be the funeral of a very special friend, Hanh, who passed away last week from stomach cancer... It was a stressful few days!  In the end, I don't even know how it all worked out!  On a random thought, Jason suggested that I ask my cousin, Quyen, if he would be interested to come with us.  Quyen lives in L.A. and I haven't seen him in almost a year!  I texted him and he responded right away that he was available and thrilled to get to go.  Jason's mom watched our kids, we found a hotel, I was able to get someone to help me teach BLAST, and I was able to say goodbye to Hanh... Jason drove to L.A. in 3 hours (there were no traffic jams, a shock for the L.A. area!).  We were there in plenty of time since Pearl Jam didn't start until almost an hour after the time listed on the tickets.  They were worth the wait- they played for 3 hours!  I was incredibly impressed!  They played 33 songs, had amazing transitions, and great balance between their heavier/lighter sounds...  Eddie Vedder interacted with the audience (one of my biggest concert pet peeves is when musicians just sing and don't acknowledge the crowd).  In the end, we didn't get to our hotel until 1am.  We got to sleep-in and headed out for a nice breakfast before going back home.  I had a great time, and Jason had an awesome time!  I love that we get to do things like that together!
We stopped off at the Tulare outlets and got back in town just in time to head to our church's Thanksgiving dinner.
(The kids made pumpkin crafts at the Thanksgiving dinner.  Silly boys, Levi and Jeremy found a different use for their pumpkins!)

No comments: