Thursday, August 27, 2009

Focus

Well now that the school year has started up again, I don't have a lot to update on this blog! Many have asked how my transition has been from teaching full-time to staying at home full-time. Well, to be honest, I've been feeling a little guilty for having so much more time! I feel like I should be doing something so much more than playing on the floor, coloring, and reading books. I know, making memories like these with the kiddos is of utmost importance, but for years, I've been used to a really crazy and hectic lifestyle. I used to feel like there wasn't enough hours in the day... Now, I feel like I have nothing but time. I'm not complaining- just sharing! It's a very strange thing to get used to.

This year, my focus is entirely on my family.

For Jason, I am committed to being a little bit more domesticated. Since school started, I really have had dinner ready for him when he comes home! I've been experimenting with different recipes that I wouldn't have tried last year due to lack of time. For example, tonight we had Crispy Fried Tofu with Vegetable Stir-Fry on Rice. It was really time-consuming to bread each tofu cube, but so worth it in the end. Since I have time to clean during the week, Jason hasn't had to really pitch in as much on the weekend (as was the case in previous years). I've also been able to do some baking, and I know he loves that!

For the kids, aside from the time that we get to spend together on a daily basis, I am working through a journal called, "A Mother's Legacy: Your Life Story in Your Own Words." It is so neat! The journal asks questions that I am able to reflect on and write about. My hope is to give my kids this journal when they are older so they can learn more about who their mama is. Obviously, I hope to be able to personally share things with my kids as they get older, but I think the written word can be a real treasure.

I am also focusing on myself this year. I look at this year off of teaching almost as a sabbatical, a year to get rejuvenated and renewed. I would really like to "grow" this year, which means I need to work on treating myself better. One of the ways I've decided to do that is by joining a gym. I was thinking that this was more like a decision to torture myself rather than treat myself, but I'm going to trust that it's not. I just want to commit to living an active lifestyle. Hopefully, I will be able to follow through...

Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts and encouragement these last few weeks!

3 comments:

JHNickodemus said...

Wow. I really enjoyed your perspective. Thank you for sharing!That sounds like a lot to share! I'd be interested in hearing about more of your cooking ventures!

The Lomeli clan said...

The gym idea is a great idea! I would do the same but I like to be outside when I "work out". I am going to be walking M-W-F around 8:30 at Woodward park if you want to join me!

Tracy said...

I'm at GB3 Wednesday mornings or Monday/Friday afternoons. Please please please, I need someone to take my mind off the actual "working out" part.