Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ny and Mac's Wedding

Pretty much every year that we visit Edmonton, we have a wedding to go to. I love it because I'm able to see a lot of people all in one place. This year was Ny and Mac's wedding. Ny used to be one of "my junior highers!" (blurry picture, but it's the only one I got!)I used to work with the junior high group at church before moving to Fresno. It was in its first stages when Binh (one of my closest friends) and I were involved with it. The English ministry at church was really new and just starting. Ny is now working as a labor and delivery nurse! Wow! Ny is one of the sweetest, most genuine people I know, and I've been told that Mac is a perfect match for her. Congratulations!
The traditional tea ceremony took place earlier in the morning. Jason and I didn't have a tea ceremony. It's very traditional, rooted back in the time when dowrys were the norm. The groom's family and party arrive at the bride's home bearing gifts. The groom's parents give gifts to the bride, exchanges are made between both families, the bride and groom "serve" their parents, and it's followed by a feast. The wedding ceremony was held in the afternoon. Jason stayed home with Grace and Jeremy so that I could go. We knew the church was going to be packed, and with the ceremony around nap time, we didn't want to take the chance that they'd get fussy. The reception was later that night. My friend, Linda, offered to watch Jeremy, and we brought Grace with us to the restaurant. Nine years ago, Jason and I held our Edmonton wedding reception at the same restaurant as Ny and Mac. Being there reminded me of our reception. Many of my Fresnan friends have never experienced anything like this, so I'm going to share a few details. Vietnamese receptions never start on time. It's expected that the bride and groom take pictures with everyone as they enter the restaurant (another reason why the reception doesn't ever start on time). The meal is a feast- 10 courses! Everyone at our table made fun of me, but I took a picture of each course just so that I could blog about it! (as usual, extra pictures are in our photo album). Every dish represents something (for example, noodles represent longevity). The bride usually changes from her wedding dress into a traditional Vietnamese outfit, called an ao dai (Ny's is the red outfit seen in the pictures above). During the dinner, it's customary for the bride and groom and both sets of parents to visit each table to thank everyone for coming. Toasts (other than the usual) can be made at this time. In recent years, western traditions of throwing the bouquet/garter, first dance, etc. have been added. I love weddings!!! (Check out photo album. Sorry for the blurry pics!)

No comments: