Friday, July 4, 2008

Back in my Homeland

Well, here we are! We've been playing it low-key since arriving here in Canada on Tuesday night. The flight from Fresno to Seattle was awful- Jeremy cried almost the whole time. Both kids did better on the flight from Seattle to Edmonton. The kids did great as soon as they saw my parents. Thank goodness- no stranger anxiety! However, due to getting in at midnight, Wednesday was kind of crazy with naps and all of that. We pretty much did nothing- just laid around and watched TV. My mom made me my favorite Vietnamese dish for dinner. It's called Bun Bo Hue, a spicy noodle soup that originates from central Vietnam. Yum! I guess it can't be considered completely authentic since I don't eat pig's knuckles and stuff like that. I'm sure some of you just got totally grossed out reading that last sentence! Ha!
On Thursday, Grace woke up to a treat. My dad bought her some "Timbits" from Tim Hortons for breakfast. I'm not quite sure why Canada has such an obsession with Tim Hortons, but like all other Canadians, we love it too. In case you didn't know, Timbits are the middle ball part of donuts. They come in cute little boxes and since they're so small, you can't help but end up eating quite a bit! The main thing we did on Thursday was go to get Grace enrolled in swim lessons at a local recreation center. We've decided once again to put her in a "Parent & Tot" class because of the amount of coaxing that still has to take place for her to get in the pool. The course description says that one of the goals will be to gradually decrease the parent's involvement to encourage the tot's self-confidence and independence. Those lessons don't start for another 2 weeks, but we'll definitely keep you posted. Jason and I planned to go out last night for bubble tea, but the kids had major problems falling asleep. I think it's the heat. At least in Fresno, everyone's prepared for the heat- we have a whole house fan and air conditioning... Not so much here. It was TOO HOT for the kids to fall asleep. They were dripping sweat, even with fans on. We put them to bed at 8pm, and they were still up close to 11pm. Yikes! At least these days occur only every few weeks. It's supposed to cool down in these next few days.

Today, we did our first "touristy" thing. We went to the John Janzen Nature Center. It's located along the river valley, and offers programs, events, exhibits and information to encourage awareness and understanding of nature in an urban setting. I remember going there on a field trip as a kid. Our visit today was appropriate for Grace, but Jason and I were unimpressed. In fact, so much so that I'm not even going to bother putting a link for you to check out. Oh well, at least we can cross that off on our list of things to do. After visiting the center, we ate lunch and went on a short 1km hike. It turned out to be really calming and peaceful, and we made it home in time to put the kids down for naps. I will definitely try to post as much as I can about our trip, so check for updates!

Checking out pond life
Grace checking out a garter snake up-close
Watching honeybees in action
At the trailhead
Along our hike

No comments: