Friday, March 7, 2008

2 New Entrepreneurs

Last year, Jason and I became lenders on a website called, "KIVA." If you have never heard of KIVA, make sure you check out their website (there's a link on the right side of our blog). KIVA enables people to lend money to entrepreneurs around the world who are in need of loans to improve their lives. Last year, we supported four people. The two women that I chose have fully repaid their loans. The two men that Jason chose are extremely close to repaying their loans. The first woman was Juana Patricia Flores Barro from Mexico, who requested a loan to purchase items to expand her home business of making food in order to sell it. The second person was Comfort Nortey from Ghana, who asked for a loan to buy fabrics to sew clothes to sell in her village. I have had the chance to reloan my funds for months- I have been so busy that I forgot all about it. Tonight, I finally had a chance to look through some loan requests on the KIVA website and I have selected two new entrepreneurs: Clara Villafan (Peru), who wants to build a stand at a market to sell chickens; and Ni Ketut Suwadri (Indonesia), who makes brown coconut sugar and is in need of new woks and production utensils. It is fascinating to me, how these women support their families. I am inspired and hope that they will receive the funds they asked for- it would so greatly improve their families' lives. (I have posted links on the right side of our blog if you are interested in learning more about these women).

No comments: