Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Life Changes

The end of this school year was really difficult because it meant the end of our life as we've known it. Jason and I made a life changing decision for the upcoming school year! I have decided to take a part-time position teaching gifted students- that means that I will no longer have a class or classroom of my own.  Next year, I will be a traveling teacher, going to 7 different sites.  It's exciting that I'll get to work with a population that I am passionate about- gifted students!  I've done a lot over the past few years with gifted education and I feel like this is a good fit for me.  The timing worked out perfectly.
Our goal with this change is for me to have less stress and more demands on my time... We hope it'll mean more time for our family.  To be honest, this year has been draining and I welcome the change for a slower pace of life.  People have asked whether it'd be possible for someone like me to work part-time.  I look at it as this- the amount that I work this next year can't possibly come even close to what I've been doing for the past few years.  So even if I do work more than what I need to, it'll still be less and manageable.  I'm thankful for the opportunity and am looking forward to what is in store for us next year!



It was an emotional end to the year, to have to pack up my entire classroom and say goodbye to a community that I truly value being a part of.  It was also the end of working with one of my closest teacher friends/grade level partners, Michelle Stilson.  It took both Jason and I four carloads of boxes to move everything home.  For now, everything is in our garden shed!  I'm supposed to spend time this summer going through the boxes and getting rid of as much as I can!  We'll see about that! :)

No comments: