Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sweet!

At my last diabetes clinic, I was jokingly complaining about how hard it was to go to Coldstone twice last weekend, and to sit and watch everyone enjoying their ice cream. I had to ask, "Are you sure that I can't even have sugar-free ice cream?" My doctor said, "Well, if you have ice cream, just make sure you find one that's really high in fat because the higher the fat, the less sugar it contains." My response was, "IF I have ice cream?! Are you saying that I can have ice cream?!" He said that since I've been doing really well on my diet, my blood sugar numbers have been pretty good, and if I could resist the temptation to have more than just a little scoop, it'd be ok if I had one scoop of ice cream every few days. He recommended Ben and Jerry's. Sweet!! I went out to Ben and Jerry's on Friday night with Christa and Jill and I savored one scoop of "Chocolate Therapy." It's not like I'm fanatical about ice cream like Jason is, but I am definitely going to enjoy it a lot more now, since I know what it's like to be without it.
Even though my blood sugar was a little higher after the ice cream, it wasn't enough to be concerned and I didn't need to call in (I have to call in to the diabetes center whenever my numbers reach a certain point). That was such a special treat!
After an incredibly busy week, Friday was my last day of work. Earlier in the day, my staff members had a staff get-together for me after school. The two people who had organized the shower went to all the trouble of finding a sugar-free cake that I could eat. How thoughtful! So, in just one day, I got to have TWO special treats! I was so excited!

No comments: