Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A Day in a 5th Grade Teacher's Life

Since this blog is supposed to give you daily updates about what goes on in our lives, I'll share with you about my day yesterday. Our 5th grade team took our classes on a daytrip to Sacramento to tour the Capitol, discover Old Town Sacramento, and explore the Railroad Museum. My day started at 4am. I was responsible for picking up breakfast from school for our classes. Afterwards, I went to pick up two of my students from their homes, and we headed to Fresno's Amtrak station. Yup, we traveled to Sacramento via Amtrak. It was my first time on Amtrak, and it was rather uneventful. Well, I didn't get sick (those of you who really know me, know that's a big deal)!!!. Our tour of the Capitol was great- we all learned a lot, and my kids really enjoyed it. In fact, they were still regurgitating facts to me today as if I hadn't been there with them at all yesterday. I was so fortunate to have 15 chaperones join us (26 kids). That meant that most parents only had to chaperone their own kid, and maybe an additional student. For a daytrip out of town, I couldn't have asked for better! I didn't assign any kids to me, so I was able to go back and forth between all of the kids. There were a lot of things happening in Sacramento yesterday, so after the tour, everyone went off on their own to have lunch. My grade level partners and I had lunch at this place called Cafe New Orleans in Old Town Sacramento. I can't recommend it based on the meal I had (Etoufee or something- similar to Jambalaya but really runny and flavorless), but the others enjoyed their meals. Most of us met up again at the Railroad Museum. I must say, I was surprised at how much my class enjoyed this museum. It was pretty interesting. We had everyone meet us at Sacramento's Amtrak station at about 4pm, and headed back to Fresno. After driving several kids home, I walked through the door at 8:30pm. Needless to say, I was fast asleep the minute my head hit the pillow. All in all, it was a great day! I never would've been able to do anything like this if I was still teaching 1st grade. Yet another reason why I'm happy to be teaching 5th grade this year!

No comments: