Sunday, February 18, 2007

Chuc Mung Nam Moi! (Happy New Year!)

Today is Vietnamese New Year! Around this time of year, I often get really homesick. Last year, we decided to use this special occasion to help me "remember my roots," and embrace my Vietnamese heritage. We had our first celebration last year. Traditionally, Vietnamese Tet takes place over several days. For this year's celebration, we decided to ring in the Year of the Pig with a two-day affair. Unfortunately, Gracie has been sick and she's gotten worse, so we're going to have to postpone today's dinner celebration until next week. Pictures of that dinner will be posted at a later time.

(Julie and Diane were hard to see in the first picture, but here they are. And Jason took the picture so he's not visible. By the way, have you heard about Julie and Rod's news?... Just kidding! That little one Julie is holding is Diane & Filipe's new son)

Last night, we had some friends come over to feast on some Asian dishes. I made a Vietnamese Chicken Salad, a Spinach & Watercress Stir-Fry, and Spring Rolls (Imperial). My mom is well-known for her Spring Rolls. Of course, nothing could compare with Mom's, but look, Mom! How did I do?
Several people contributed to our meal. Adam made Beef with Chiles, and Spicy Shrimp. Both of those dishes were so fiery, we joked that the party favors should have been heartburn medicine. Katie and Chad brought Pork Skewers, and Jamie brought a Cashew-Pineapple Chicken dish. To finish off, Adam made a Banana Tapioca Soup, and Jason prepared some Vietnamese coffees.









It was a great time! Thank you again for helping me celebrate!

2 comments:

Christa said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I'm coming next year, whether I'm invited or not. Vietnamese coffee, (cafe su da?) mmmm. The quilt in the background makes me think I sort of was there :)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! Looks like a lot of fun!