Friday, December 21, 2012

The Blur of December

It's almost the end of the month and boy, did this month just fly by.  Part of the reason was that I got really sick this year.  I ended up missing 5 days of work (in my 12 years of teaching, I have never missed 5 days due to illness!) and it wasn't until just a few days ago that I finally felt fully well again.  I had strep and due to all the medications I was on and the fact that I wasn't eating a whole lot, I also ended up getting an ulcer.  I found out the hard way, ending up in the ER at 3am.  We are so thankful for good friends who have been helping us out immensely this month.  Aaron came in the middle of the night and slept on our couch so that we could go to the ER without dragging along our kids...  Michelle made my last minute sub plans when she found out I wasn't going to be able to make it to work...  And Jamie provided dinner for Jason and the kids since it was such a crazy day!  The support we've gotten from so many people has been incredible and made me realize the amazing network of people who genuinely love and care for our family.  This has been a recurring reminder for me in this holiday season... I am overwhelmingly blessed!!!!

Now for a recap of the "good" events that took place this past month!

Trip to Cambria: My good friend Christa, was able to get a great deal on a weekend stay in Cambria.  She invited me, Jamie, and Jill to join her as part of a girls' getaway during the first weekend in December. 

(view from our rental house)
We had a fun time- we talked (and talked), went wine tasting, ate, and did some shopping.  If you know me at all, you know that I get carsick really easily.  So, unfortunately, my experience with wine tasting wasn't that great- I was very, very nauseous as we drove the windy countryside to get to Justin Winery and Opolo Winery.  The drive was horrible- once my Dramamine kicked in, I was less nauseous, but then really drowsy.  That part was a total bummer... However, spending time with close friends- that was wonderful and I am so glad that I got to be included in this getaway with these special friends. 
Grace's School Program:  Grace was Rudolph in her program, and though she had no speaking parts, she had been looking forward to it for weeks.  I was in immense pain (level 8, what I would imagine swallowing razor blades to feel like) and decided I would have to stay home.  However, when I told Grace, she started to cry... So, despite the pain, I went.  It made her feel better, but I sure paid for it the next day. :(

Children's Program at Church: Jeremy has been in the same Sunday School class for years now, and every year, the songs his class performs are the same. He sang more of the songs than in previous years- maybe next year, he'll sing all of them (he'll be in the same class again next year).  Grace moved up to a different class this year.  Her class did a retelling of the Christmas story and she was a wise(wo)man.


Holidays are more special with special friends!

Mrs. Karen and Mr. Darrell:  We are so blessed to have these two amazing people in our lives.  We met them when I was pregnant with Grace and they have been a part of our lives ever since.  Since I don't have parents in town, I am so appreciative of how they have looked out for me in countless ways.  Most recently, they came and got our kids when I was sick and spent the whole day with them so Jason and I could both take it easy (Note the Boston souvenirs our kids are wearing from their latest trip out East).

Nancy's Annual Holiday Get-together: I used to teach at Herndon-Barstow, and even though I'm no longer there, I am still privileged to be included in some of their get-togethers such as this annual one that is hosted by Nancy.  It has been a cookie exchange, but this year, everyone brought an appetizer or dessert instead.  I absolutely love getting together with this group of women.  I had already missed my staff's holiday party, and I was determined not to miss this one, too.  I went despite not feeling well, but I left feeling so glad that I went. I always leave feeling uplifted and loved on- these women are good for my soul!

Ugly Christmas Sweater Day: I guess it's an annual tradition at my school now- the staff dresses up in our ugliest Christmas sweater.  This year, Michelle and I decided it'd be funny to have our grade level dress up in the same shirt, so we made them.  We even made one for Mike!  Unfortunately, we didn't remember to get a picture of him before the end of the day!
With everything that happened this month, I am glad that we made it to Winter Break!  

No comments: