Saturday, March 12, 2011

Last Winter Storm

The last time I was in SoCal was during our horrific trip to San Diego during Winter Break. That was when we were stuck in the car for 15 hours because of road closures! Well, on the weekend of Feb. 25, I had to head down that way again. A major storm passed through the state that same weekend, so I was very nervous about heading to Palm Springs to attend a GATE conference. There was word that the major mountain passes were going to be shut down again. Not only that, it was my first time being away from my family for longer than a night since Jeremy was born. Thank goodness, our rides there and back were uneventful and we didn't get caught up in any traffic. It was rather strange that it rained in Palm Springs and it was rare that the weather was as cold as it was for that area. I had a great time at the conference- I learned a lot, got rejuvenated & re-inspired about my role as a teacher, got to know a lot of people, and most importantly, enjoyed some time to myself in a fabulous hotel room.
Meanwhile, the storm dumped quite a bit of snow in the mountain areas near here. Jason took the kids up to Oakhurst to spend the day with his family. In addition to seeing where Mr. Dan (soon-to-be Uncle) works and riding in Dan's cool fire truck (Jeremy was in heaven), they also went sledding near Calvin Crest. Jason said it was very cold, but that didn't stop the kids from enjoying the snow! Afterwards, everyone went back to Grandma's to enjoy the rest of the day.

No comments: