Tuesday, April 24, 2007

It's official- I'm a (pregnant) HAWK!

It's been a pretty crazy few weeks for me (Jane). Let me catch you up. Central Unified (my school district) is opening up a new elementary school this August. With its new opening, boundaries have been shifted, resulting in my school losing enrollment. We're going from about 500 students to 275. Losing so many kids also means having to lose teachers. We were told before Spring Break that 12 of us were going to be moved elsewhere. Learning this information caused a lot of uncertainty among our staff. We were told that seniority would determine who would have to move elsewhere. Well, I have enough seniority that I was offered a position at my current school. Two other teachers with more seniority chose 5th grade, leaving me to choose between 4th and 6th. Before I left for Spring Break, I signed for 4th grade to secure a position for myself, but informed my principal that I was going to try and interview elsewhere for 5th grade. I really don't want to become a "first year teacher" again next year, having to learn entirely new curriculum for a new grade level. Besides, I have so many ideas I still want to try for 5th. My first choice was our new elementary school, Harvest.
I was interviewed during Spring Break and about an hour after the interview, the new principal called and offered me the 5th grade position. Of course I accepted! However, throughout this process, I have been very anxious because I have not divulged the fact that I'm expecting a baby in the fall. I have also kept this news mainly to myself at work because I didn't want word to get back to my new principal and have my pregnancy become a factor in whether or not to hire me (I know, it's against the law to use pregnancy as a reason not to hire someone, but still- I didn't want to take the chance). Many people advised me not to say anything, and even though I haven't, it has made me feel dishonest.

You'd think that I should feel confident that my new job is secure- already, so much has happened as a new Harvest staff member. We've already had a Community Forum, where we were introduced to the parents and I had to interview with and do a lesson for some of our district's leaders. Yet today was the day I have been waiting for- today, I finally feel like I can let out a sigh of relief. Tonight was Central's Board meeting, where the Board was informed of Harvest's new staff. Somehow, that makes me feel like it's "official." With that in mind, I decided I had to tell my new principal as soon as possible.
I was hoping to meet with him tomorrow and tried arranging a meeting for then. Instead, he came to meet with me today at lunch. His first thought was that I was going to tell him I had changed my mind about coming to Harvest! When I shared that I was expecting, he was extremely supportive. I am so grateful! I have been hiding my baby news from my staff for 14 weeks (that's how far along I am), and it's been getting more and more difficult. I'm starting to show and my regular clothes definitely don't fit me anymore. Tomorrow, I get to wear whatever I want because I don't have to hide anything! I also get to share our baby news with my staff tomorrow. You can't even imagine how ecstatic and content that makes me feel! Sorry for such a long post... I had lots to just let out! YAHOO!!!
By the way, if you're curious to see how things are developing at my new school, click on HARVEST. We've been told that construction is ahead of schedule and that we'll probably get to move into our new classrooms at the end of July. So much to look forward to...

No comments: