Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I'm Free... to Eat What I Want... Any Old Time!

Okay, cheesy title for this post... But I want to give an update about the state of my gestational diabetes. As soon as Jeremy was born, my doctors assumed that my body systems would return to normal. Just to be sure, I still had to get another glucose test to confirm it at my postpartum visit.

The glucose test was awful! You're supposed to fast for 8 hours prior to the test, so by the time it is all done, you're starving and feeling light headed...I had to do the 2 hour one, where they draw your blood every half hour. Altogether, it comes out to 5 needles! Unfortunately, due to the phlebotomist's incompetence, I ended up getting my blood drawn 8 times! I had so many needle holes, I actually imagined what it'd be like to be a druggie.

When I went to my postpartum visit at the Diabetes Center, my doctor informed me that the hospital had lost one of my test results. Imagine that- 8 needles and they still didn't get it right. I would've had to get the whole thing done again, but my doctor said that since my other tests' results were ok, he would just assume that the missing test result would indicate the same. Phew! It is now official- I no longer have gestational diabetes. However, I am now at a greater risk for developing diabetes later in life... It was suggested that I continue checking my blood sugar several times a year just to be informed. At this point, my diet choices and exercise are the best ways to lower my risk. The chance of developing diabetes gives me extra motivation to be aware of my diet choices and to lead an active lifestyle.
This past weekend, some of my girlfriends came over to help me celebrate Jeremy's birth and the end of my gestational diabetes. In addition to eating desserts and hanging out, they spent time creating pre-made scrapbook pages for Jeremy's scrapbook. Before Grace was born, one of my baby showers was a scrapbooking one where my friends created pre-made layouts for Grace's scrapbook. I so greatly value those pages! Now I have over 10 layouts ready-to-go for Jeremy's book. Thanks so much, dear friends, for your help!

No comments: